The Fertilizer Institute Releases 2020 State of the Fertilizer Industry Report
The Fertilizer Institute (TFI) released its 2020 State of the Fertilizer Industry Report. TFI is the leading voice of the nation’s fertilizer industry serving member organizations though legislative, educational, technical, economic information and public communication programs. Members include fertilizer producers, wholesalers, retailers, and trading firms – including The Mosaic Company.
Adam Herges, Mosaic Sr. Sustainability Agronomist, who represents Mosaic with TFI explained, “the fertilizer industry has been making considerable progress on improving safety performance, reducing the environmental impacts from production to the farm, and increasing sustainable fertilizer use. This annual report reflects all of the good work being done throughout the fertilizer supply chain.”
TFI's State of the Industry Report provides insight into the industry’s efforts to improve safety, security, sustainability, stewardship, and efficiency. This data was delayed due to the pandemic but was gathered in 2020 and reflects industry operations in 2019. In line with Mosaic's ESG priority of transparency, we have voluntarily contributed data and stories to TFI's State of the Industry Report since 2013.
Read the full TFI report: https://www.tfi.org/sustainability.
Report Highlights (courtesy of TFI):
- On worker safety: according to the data from the Department of Labor, the fertilizer industry is twice as safe as our industry peers.
- On the environment: minimizing greenhouse gas emissions is a priority for companies in the fertilizer industry.
- On energy use: To reduce their energy footprint, fertilizer manufacturers cogenerate energy or use other low-impact energy sources, such as solar or steam from waste heat.
- On water: Overall water use efficiency per ton of fertilizer produced has improved each year since 2013.
- On agronomic professionals: Agronomic professionals are an essential link in the fertilizer supply chain, being a trusted source of information for farmers when making fertilizer decisions.
- On enhanced efficiency fertilizers (EEFs): are one of the tools farmers can use to improve nutrient uptake by the plant and reduce losses to the environment, but more outreach is needed. Mosaic recently announced two of our fertilizers were designated EEF.